Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Second time PAFF-018 - Utrechtse Heuvelrug

Damaged pole: one band re-activation
With just a little time on my hands while passing PAFF-018 I decided to do a quick re-activation. I found a reasonable spot quite quickly. It was however surrounded by trees.

Zuylensteinse Bos - part of Utrechtse Heuvelrug


For some reason I opted to start with the multiband wire antenna (10-20-40). This meant extending my antenna pole to about 15m. Ofcourse I ended up in the trees with this hard to handle pole. This happend to me once before, losing a piece of wire but this time it was worse: one of the fiber glass segments of my Spieth mast broke. I was left with a considerably shorter pole and therefore did not have the opportunity to activate 40m this time.

One damaged fiber glass segment...


Conditions on 20m were so-so and unsteady. Luciano I5FLN reported both a 55 and a 59+10 in 15 minutes time. Moving around on 20m (avoiding QRM and QRN) I was active for about 70 minutes. In this time I was greeted by 72 OMs from 22 DXCCs. Max QRB was set by a UA9 OM to 5000km.

Quite surprisingly I was greeted by two OMs from Morocco. I haven't heard a station from CN before during a WFF activation and today I heard two...

Thanks all for calling in.
Lars, PH0NO/P 

No comments:

Post a Comment